Thursday, March 3, 2011

Self Acceptance


What if you wholeheartedly accepted yourself right now as good enough, not broken, as is....including all your neurosis, talents, fears, accomplishments and those extra pounds?
Does this seem like an unfamiliar mind set?  I realized that for me it is.  Underneath my "feel pretty good about myself most of the time.... except when I yell at my children, don't complete a project on time, spend over budget,  blah, blah, blah"....that I have never really considered, forget embraced, that I am good enough as is.  That perhaps I do not have to constantly pursue self improvement because I am lacking or fall short.



I am very curious about this idea of self acceptance and for the month of March I have collected a few books to help me look at this idea from various angles.  I am learning, through my relatively new meditation practice and study, that the lessons of Buddhism have a strong message of acceptance in general.





Perhaps, then, it is not so surprising that 3 out of 4 of these books have a mindfulness meditation/Buddhist background.
Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach
Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth

Pocket Pema Chodron by Pema Chodron
The Wisdom of No Escape by Pema Chodron 





Relax and breathe in the goodness that you are....

No comments:

Post a Comment