Monday, October 18, 2010

Minding My Words

Since my mother in law’s funeral, I have had a heightened awareness of the words and messages coming out of my mouth.  I have been vigilant on not letting negativity, complaints, worry, gossip or unconstructive criticism(which I am beginning to think most criticism is unconstructive) cross my lips.  The few times a questionable comment slipped by my internal censors I immediately noticed and felt the subtle and unpleasant reverberations in myself. 
Although I have only strayed 2-3 times on my commitment to not speak negatively, it doesn’t mean my thoughts have suddenly changed over all the way to positive and productive.  In fact, ceasing to speak my negative thoughts has forced me to face them.  Since they can’t escape through my mouth, I notice they fester in my brain unless I make an effort to change the thought pattern.  This puts the responsibility for my thoughts squarely on me.
I feel like I am working out a new set of mental muscles each time I practice changing what I am thinking about or changing how I am thinking about it.  Humility, creativity, and my ability to forgive and concentrate are getting a workout with this exercise of minding my words. 
My motivation? A desire not to add to the negativity in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment