Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Inner Oasis



Equanimity
Equanimity- Evenness of mind especially under stress(Webster's dictionary).
Root words are: aequus=balanced and animus=spirit.
In Hinduism, equanimity is described as balance and centeredness through all possible changes and circumstances.
In my 20's and 30's the concept of equanimity seemed boring, dispassionate, too neutral.  Lately, I have come to really appreciate the practice of equanimity because it helps to anchor me in the midst of stress or chaos.  I feel a sense of liberation from the turbulence of my thoughts/feelings when I experience equanimity.
My meditation teacher, Shinzen Young, explains that equanimity is the balance between suppressing  thoughts/feelings or fixating on them.  Equanimity is not escaping, reacting or identifying but greeting with loving acceptance whatever is happening in the moment. 
I am not saying the practice of equanimity is easy, especially when a storm is raging within us or in our environment.  Like any other skill, equanimity takes practice.  The idea is to try to maintain a relaxed state in your mind and body as all sensations, pleasant or unpleasant naturally arise and flow through.  There are infinite opportunities for practice in any given day.  It's a little easier to allow pleasant sensations to flow, however, there is also a tendency to want to cling to a positive experience.  Negative thoughts/feelings can be difficult to let pass, but, the good news is, they will, if you don't attach attention to them. 
Once again, I am humbled by life's challenge to live from a place of loving acceptance toward myself and others.  I will say, the more I practice equanimity, the more I feel as if I am carving out an internal oasis.  At first, it seemed like my thoughts/feelings could run rampant and out of control and I didn't know where to turn.  Now, when I feel the inner agitation mounting, I find my little oasis.  I think it's somewhere in my inner Caribbean.
* For more info. about equanimity and basic mindfulness meditation practice click here.  November yoga classes will include mindfulness meditation to prepare us for the craziness of December.  I know you will want to retreat to your inner oasis at some point!
Love,
Indy

No comments:

Post a Comment